Tuesday, November 20, 2007

In God We Trust?


Living in Indiana, I see this everywhere these days. A while back -- not really certain how long ago really -- but the state sanctioned at dark blue license plate with the large white words, "In God We Trust" written on them. And though I am not 100% certain of this next statement, I do believe we -- the tax payers -- fund a large percentage of these plates because they can be purchased as the least expensive of all the vanity plates.

I really do not like these plates! Besides for all the other reasons a partially persecuted pagan would dislike the idea of these plates, they really highlight the incredible stupidity of many of the vehicle operators who choose to display them. Really? ... you ask. Well, here's an example.

This morning I was traveling on a major highway, on my way to work, when a 40-something woman cuts me off, pulling wildly out of her stopped line of traffic only to swerve out of control into mine, causing me to have to make the decision to either take her life by driving over top of her vehicle, or to swerve myself, hopefully not cutting someone else off in the process. When order returned to the situation, everyone was miraculously safe. So, you might ask, how was I greeted by the woman whose life was spared by my expert driving and a lot of luck?

She flipped me the bird! Not only did she flip me the old proverbial bird, but in her rear-view mirror I could read her overly collagen-enhanced lips as they mouthed some of the most vile words. And just as the memory of the situation was beginning cool, I could plainly see her license plate, that tax-payer supported, constitutionally questionable license plate, saying "In God We Trust"

And though not proud of it, I couldn't help but to say to myself, though aloud, "Typical christian!"

No comments: